Sunday 22 February 2009

A little bit of everything on my plate please!

I think I've now realised that my uni life goes round in one huge circle whenever I start a new project. It goes from "okay this sounds exciting", to "I can't do this, I'm not good enough", to "stop being such an idiot and get on with it". So now I've decide to ignore the middle part and just focus on the "getting on with it" part.
I handed in my creative design practices project before reading week, but I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the other projects. I liked the researching and the trend boards but I don't really enjoy having restriction on what I can design. I know this is a realistic project and I'll have to design for the high street and places I don't really want to design for, but I'd just prefer to do what I want! Ha-that’s never going to happen! It taught me a lot though about how things are put together and just how much goes into thinking about designing for a certain shop and market. And that’s what uni is all about-learning, so it’s good to know that all that money is paying off!
During this reading week I would love to say I'd been getting up after lunch, going to bed in the early hours, and spending all my money on going out-but I'd be telling a lie. I've been spending this reading week doing my jewellery elective and I can tell you now on Monday morning I wish I'd never agree to do it! I spent the whole day regretting picking what I re-named "metal work" but by the end of the week I started to actually quite like it. I think it’s just because I'm impatience and all that sawing, sanding and burning stuff started to feel like a work out for a gym membership I'd never agreed to! By the end it felt really good to have made a piece of jewellery that I'd personally wear! I walked into the elective thinking I would be able to create a piece that I'd buy in a shop, in the space of a week-bloody stupid of me! But I was happy with the result and that’s all that matters I suppose....oh and that I now have arms like the Hulk!!!
As for the newest project - fashion, art and culture - I'm really liking it but I need to do a lot more work, I'm not using Jewellery as an excuse for my lack of work....well actually I am. I would have done a lot more if I didn't have to go to uni-but c'est la vie! I've decided to do my piece on social differences and what happens before closed door. Many people feel that society has changed a lot since the early 1900's and yeah it has, technology has developed and so this has affected everything else, but one thing that hasn't changed is how the public are still so shocked my things that are happening around the world. If a designer, artist or photographer decided to do a piece on child abuse some people are so disgusted by it that they will completely ignore the work and dismiss the fact that the matter this designer is trying to get across DOES affect our society everyday, and just because you may not see it doesn't mean its not happening. Another idea I have is that even since the early 1900's woman have always has less power and never really been equal to men. Some may disagree but when you think about it, if a woman has to power dress to feel equal to the men she is working with then they still have control over her! Just like the corset controlled and binded woman of they freedom-you could say this is still happening today and we will ever be equal? I haven't quite decided which idea I'm going with yet but both I feel quite strongly about.
Well I think that is pretty much all that’s going on in my uni life at the moment apart from Crit and to be honest I don't want to go into that - I may be arrested for neglect!!
Oh and I'm trying to get some work experience in the industry over the summer period-how exciting!

No comments: