Sunday 22 March 2009

PPD1

So we've recently started PPD lessons and in the last session we had to research jobs within the fashion industry. I found it all quite useful as I realise that I had misunderstood some of the roles within the industry and so this session put me straight.
If you were to become a Fashion Photographer your job role would be photographing for magazines, advertisements, catwalk shows etc. The money isn't great and varies depending on who you are working for, how professional you are and whether you are self-employed, which many fashion photographers are. You can't just become an amazing fashion photographer over night either, you have to work as a photographers assistant before becoming an actually photography and then you're only a low end photographer. You have to be really good at what you do to become a professional photographer and if you do it right, it can pay well. Working hours are long and most likely going to take up you're weekends and evenings on the plus side you may be able to travel depending on the type of job you're on but this is strictly a "worked based holiday" no time for sight-seeing. You would be working with a number of people-models, stylists, designers, photo touch up department, photo assistants etc.
I really enjoy photography and I took it at A-level but I wouldn't like to take up a career in it. It seems like too much hard work to me and I doubt I would enjoy it all that much.
I'm still researching jobs in the industry and am quite interested in PR work at the moment. Once I've finished my research I'll up date you on my findings!

No comments: