Friday 30 July 2010

Martin Margiela

I went to the Martin Margiela exhibition at Somerset House and it was AMAZING! I would give it 8/10 and would definately go again.
I wasn't allowed to take photographs but I did make some notes as I went round so I could give a good account of the experience!
The exhibition was laid out very well, each room/space reflected what was being shown excellently. Thinking of how the exhibition would be viewed.
The invites Margiela uses are very good and imaginative, as I'm pathway A I need to be constantly thinking about these things. He used things like newpaper ads, CDs, Wishbones, chocolate, plates etc. Anything that would catch attention. All really fun ideas.
I thought the exhibition was really well thought out, his ideas and creations were very clever. The tailoring was brilliant simply playing with the garments, exposing linings and hems, fraying, patchwork etc. Some were very crisp, white and others were quite humble.
Martin Margiela states that luxury is about the amount of labour spent on a piece, not all about the fabric used and I couldn't agree more with this statement!

Another very clever idea he had was tv screens that showed how the garments could be worn and how different people wear the garments in different ways, depending on sex, taste etc.

Labels were simple 4 stitches, but recognisable to people that are fond of Margielas work.
He even thought about the garments packaging and gave instructions on how to wash and access the garment, making the shopping/buying experience far more exciting.
I loved the trench coats, Margiela plays on traditions, making the common trench far more exciting!
He also used phtographs of fabrics that he then printed onto different garment (its difficult to explain), although it wasn't my favourite piece it was still a very good idea. Let me give an example...say a cotton top would have a knitwear texture copied onto it to give the illusion that it was actually knitwear.

Overall an amazing exhibition everything and anything you have ever thought about in the fashion world had be executed! Good use of innovation. Thinks about the audience and the whole journey of the garment from start to finish!
I would highly reccommend it! Very inspiring....

No comments: