Monday 22 September 2008

My "New Life"



The Zandra Rhodes Dress -

designed by Matthew Williamson.

So, I set off to discover my "New Life" in Leeds and so far so good! I've been here now for 11 days and I can't say I'm missing home half as much as I thought I would be. There's so much to do here that I just haven't got time to even think about getting home sick! My first day at LCAD wasn't as scary as I thought it might have been, but it did help having two flat mates that just so happened to be studying the same course as me. I have to admit the fresher week was quite a bore but it had to be done, I can't moan too much because we did get to go on a little trip to Manchester. As part of a project we had to record anything that we felt defined Manchester, and before I knew it I was on my hands and knees taking rubbings from trees and pavements! My digital camera was permanently flashing away at building and anything I found obscure that might be of use to me. We also managed to visit the Urbis and went to a few exhibitions, “The best of Manchester” and “Matthew Williamson: ten years in fashion”. I found “The best of Manchester” exhibition really interesting and was constantly scribbling down notes on some of the artists and fashion designers that had been voted “best of Manchester”. I felt that Jai Redman’s work was brilliant, and loved the slogan “Trees breathe – adverts suck” and the idea behind it all. I sometimes forget that we live in a world full of advertising, I start to feel a little immune to it all because we’re constantly exposed to it, and by covering up the adverts around Manchester it just showed people just how much we are surrounded by adverts and how money really does make the world go round!
I enjoyed the Matthew Williamson exhibition too, even though I’m not too fond of his work he does have the odd piece that I love like the Zandra Rhodes dress. I was instantly drawn to it and loved the story behind it. I think it makes such a huge difference when a garment has a story to go with it and I feel it gives that garment a special and unique touch! I also liked looking at his sketchbooks and fashion illustrations and I managed to get a few sneaky snaps as a memento, which have now taken their rightful place on my pin board!
After visiting these exhibitions I had a taste for it and decided it was time to head to Leeds Museum, which just so happened to be quite close to my halls of residence! The building itself was amazing and I found the exhibition helped me with my summer project as there was a lot there that could be related to my chosen phrase of “layering and tears”, which I had previously been struggling with! I later found that once I'd looked over my research and photos I'd collected there was no stopping me and I was able to get on with my project quite happily!

Well...I think that's all that's been happening so far in my "New Life" but there will be plenty more to report I'm sure, as tomorrow is another day!

No comments: