Monday 6 October 2008

Miss Productive

I feel like the past couple of days have been pretty productive and I’ve learnt a lot from them.
On Fridays we have our “Creative Design Realisation” class, which is a more technical lesson and it enables us to learn about pattern cutting and other skills needed for the industry. I felt surprising comfortable in this lesson and enjoyed learning about all the different seams on various garments and how to sew a zip into a garment, things that might seem easy to other but which I have never done before. I found that in this session I became more used to an industrial sewing machine and got to know the staff a lot better.
Over the weekend I decided to take a trip to the library and look for inspiration for my “Creative Approaches to Fashion Design” project. I managed to find some books on architecture and even the Earth that I could experiment with and use in my research. I finally feel like I’m starting to understand what I need to do now for this brief. My productiveness didn’t end there, oh no, I confronted that fear of mine and did some drawings using the new techniques I had learnt in my drawing lessons and I have to say I was quite pleased with them. So things aren’t looking so bad after all!
In critical studies we were given our brief which is an oral presentation on a piece of text chosen by our tutor, which is “Blue is in Fashion This Year” by Roland Barthes. At first I found the text quite confusing and didn’t have a clue what it was all about but after I re-read it it all started to become a lot clearer, it’s all about the meaning behind the language of Fashion and what the words actually stand for. We’ve been going through it a lot in our lessons so I think I’ll be fine when it comes to the presentation, just keep working hard and keep up with all the work I’ve been set. There is so much going on at once though, what with critical studies, design realisation, approaches to fashion design and PPD! Welcome to the real world Dawn!!

No comments: